Silver-Mercury -Amalgam-FillingsAmalgam is the generic term applied to the silver-mercury filling commonly used in dentistry to restore teeth. Amalgam is also known as the “silver filling” (due to its shiny appearance) or the silver-mercury filling. Amalgam literally means mixed with mercury and in the dental sense that is true. Powdered metals and metal compounds consisting of silver, copper, tin, and zinc are mixed with about an equal weight of liquid mercury. Three different types of chemical reactions take place within this mixture, and the resultant silver-mercury amalgam will set at room temperature, and, most importantly, within a few minutes.

 

Silver-mercury amalgam has been used as a filling material for 160 years and has enjoyed the reputation of being an inexpensive, long lasting filling. The materials alone only cost about one dollar. Although the average life span of a silver-mercury amalgam filling is only around five years, according to Dr. Leon Silverstone at the University of Colorado School of Dentistry, some amalgam fillings have been known to last for up to 20 years.

Three times now, mercury from fillings has been accused of initiating diseases. The first time was in the 1830’s, again in the 1920’s, and the third time a movement started in 1973 in which more substantial information has been available to determine the toxicity of mercury. Up until recently, it was felt that the mercury stayed within the filling. Now it is known that mercury leaches out every minute of the day.

 

Studies by Clarkson (1998) and the World Health Organization related that one amalgam could release anywhere between 3-18 m gm/day of mercury. And yet, a Canadian conference suggested a Tolerable Daily Intake (TDI) for mercury of only 1 m gm/day for a person weighing about 150 pounds. People with more than 2-3 amalgams, therefore are above the occupationally exposed acceptable levels. In fact, in a study done by Dr. Mark Richardson of Ottawa, Canada at the request of Health and Welfare Canada, it was seen that any more than 3 amalgams in the head of an adult were akin to occupational exposure. In other words, gave off as much mercury as if the person worked in an occupation where they were exposed to mercury on a daily basis.

In a study done on over 1300 patients, symptoms were reported which ranged from:

Neurological Problems such as:

  • Chronic or frequent headaches
  • Numbness and tingling anywhere
  • Dizziness
  • Ringing or noises in the ear
  • Tremors in hands, feet, lips, eyelids, tongue
  • Lowering of pain threshold

Psychological disorders such as:

  • Irritability
  • Nervousness
  • Shyness or timidity
  • Loss of memory
  • Inability to concentrate
  • Mental confusion
  • Mood changes
  • Lack of interest in life/hobbies, etc.
  • Attention Deficit Syndrome or similar problems
  • Decline of intellect
  • Loss of self-confidence
  • Anger and loss of self control
  • Depression
  • Crying spells
  • Anxiety
  • Drowsiness
  • Insomnia

Oral Cavity problems such as:

  • Bleeding gums
  • Bone loss and loosening of teeth
  • Foul breath
  • Excessive salivation
  • Metallic taste
  • White patches on the gums and/or cheeks
  • Chronic inflammation of gums or mouth
  • Ulcerations
  • Burning in the mouth or throat
  • Tissue black pigmentation

Gastrointestinal complaints such as:

  • Bloating and excessive gas
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Constipation or diarrhea
  • Irritable bowel syndrome
  • Colitis
  • Nausea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Voracious appetite and obesity
  • Excessive thirst

Cardiovascular problems such as:

  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Feeble and irregular pulse
  • Alterations in blood pressure
  • Arterial plaquing

Inflammatory and immunological problems such as:

  • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  • Fibromyalgia
  • Rheumatoid arthritis
  • Allergies
  • Sinusitis
  • Asthma
  • Muscle weakness and joint pain

Other problems such as:

  • Excessive perspiration without fever
  • Low body temperature, sometimes with clamminess
  • Skin rashes, especially around face, head and neck
  • Dim or double vision
  • Hypoxia (lack of oxygen)

You could very well be a victim of mercury toxicity precipitated by your mercury containing “silver” fillings!


The statistics listed in the table below were compiled by the Foundation For Toxic Free Dentistry (FTTD) on 1569 patients from 6 different reports:

SELECTED HEALTH SYMPTOM ANALYSIS OF 1569 PATIENTS BEFORE AND AFTER ELIMINATION OF THEIR MERCURY-CONTAINING DENTAL FILLINGS
 

% of Total Symptoms Total No. No. Improved Or Cured % of Cure or Improvement
14% ALLERGY 221 196 89%
5% ANXIETY 86 80 93%
5% BAD TEMPER 81 68 89%
6% BLOATING 88 70 88%
6% BLOOD PRESSURE PROBLEMS 99 53 54%
5% CHEST PAINS 79 69 87%
22% DEPRESSION 347 315 91%
22% DIZZINESS 343 301 88%
45% FATIGUE 705 603 86%
15% GASTROINTESTINAL PROBLEMS 231 192 83%
8% GUM PROBLEMS 129 121 94%
34% HEADACHES 531 460 87%
3% MIGRANE HEADACHES 45 39 87%
12% INSOMNIA 187 146 78%
10% IRREGULAR HEARTBEAT 159 139 87%
8% IRRITABILITY 132 119 90%
17% LACK OF CONCENTRATION 270 216 80%
6% LACK OF ENERGY 91 88 97%
17% MEMORY LOSS 265 193 73%
17% METALLIC TASTE 260 247 95%
7% MULTPILE SCLEROSIS 113 86 76%
8% MUSCLE TREMOR 126 104 83%
10% NERVOUSNESS 158 131 83%
8% NUMBNESS ANYWHERE 118 97 82%
20% SKIN DISTURBANCES 310 251 81%
9% SORE THROAT 149 128 86%
6% TACHYCARDIA 97 68 70%
4% THYROID PROBLEMS 56 44 79%
12% ULCERS & SORES (ORAL CAVITY) 189 162 86%
7% URINARY TRACT PROBLEMS 115 87 76%